Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dreading This Season...6th Man


2012 Basketball Season

Wow does time fly! I cannot believe my junior basketball season is about to begin. We have a whole new varsity team, coach and all. We worked a lot this summer to get to know one another so we weren’t coming into this season blind. But to be honest, and I don’t know if this is just me, but I am not all that excited.

Some girls on the team that may or may not be the best players keep tweeting nonstop about basketball and how they can’t wait. One girl even made a countdown until our first practice, she wrote; “countdown till love”, mostly just to suck up. I’m really getting sick of all this drama and people just sucking up to the coach so they will start or get playing time. It is just like damn why can’t you show your skill in practice to earn your spot like the old days. Why does it have to be about who you are? It shouldn’t matter how tall you are or if you are the coaches’ daughter. IT SHOULD BE ABOUT SKILL! The best should start and play. It shouldn’t matter if you are a senior or not, if a junior is better than the senior and it is obvious then the junior should start. That would be the right thing, right? WRONG, no matter who you are, you could be the number one recruit in Iowa as a junior and that coaches’ daughter will still play and start over you.

I’m sorry but 5A high school ball is about winning. I don’t care if your Athletic Director says it’s all for fun or not, It’s a lie. It is all about winning, you want that state title, everyone does. You want those scholarships for a Division 1 college because it is what you have always dreamt of!

So I don’t know maybe I’m being a little defendant and deliberate but I really don’t give two shits. Ball is ball, whether its club or high school you are playing for something. Call me crazy but to me it shouldn’t matter who you are when it comes time to step on the court. The real ball players should be playing not the kids whose parents suck up all the time, or just because you are the coaches’ daughter. I do not care if you were the shit back in your 1A school and ran the court; this is a lot faster play. I’m not one to judge but if you keep getting shut down time after time changes should be made, but they won’t because that is the world we live in today. If you think you can run all over these teams with your daddy’s play, think again. Welcome to 5A. (465)

No comments:

Post a Comment