Sunday, April 28, 2013

Take your pick

Presents, Homemade or Purchased? 

Would you rather receive a handmade present or a present that was bought? Okay, granted the purchased present looks better, is better quality and is in fashion. But handmade presents mean something. Receiving a handmade present really means the world and warms your heart, knowing someone put time and effort into something for you.

It’s a lot of fun making the present too! It’s like a little craft that you get to give someone and you know they will love. To make the gift extra meaningful you can make the gift you are giving to a friend and make one for you too, that way it can be a friendship ordeal. Instead of everything being a surprise you and your friend could have a craft week where you get together and make and exchange gifts. That way you get to spend time together and have fun!

For Christmas many families get together and draw names out of hats for a “secret Santa”. This is a lot of fun especially for little kids. All month, depending on when you draw names, the kids are anxious to find out who their “Santa” is. While each person is wondering what they are going to get they are also wondering what they are going to get the persons’ name whom they drew.

Of course as a kid you want that new hip toy from the coolest store. But, looking back at it wouldn’t you have wished you got something meaningful that was handmade? I know I would. I always found it cool as a child when the neighbor girl up the street that was five years older than me, made me and her matching friendship bracelets and shirts. It made me feel special that someone who I look up to would do that for me. When she would hand me my present I would have the biggest smile on my face and would think I was dreaming.

Giving people, especially younger kids, a gift that came from your heart can make their day. You will forever be remembered as an idol to that little kid. Even though they are younger than you, you made them something and said it was a friend charm just to make them feel special.  They will never forget that, trust me I know! (388)

No comments:

Post a Comment